Pairing rejected by: ...

• Some pphones appear to be unable to connect to our devices, they show "Pairing rejected by: <device_name>". I don't understand whre this comes from... I've tried to fiddle with the location settings on one of those phones, but that didn't make any difference...

• Have you tried if these devices can connect to another bluetooth device when not connecting to yours?
    Do you mean some phones like every nexus one can't connect, or is the problem not specific to a make and/or brand?

• Also, if you keep trying, do they eventually get paired? Android's not very good at bonding/pairing. Like connecting, sometimes you have to try a few times before the bond actually works.

• The issue is very inconsistent, in the context of one phone: At one moment it works just great, the other, it works after 5 times of closing/reopening the application... And sometimes it even does not want to connect...

I also have 2 users in my test group with exactly the same phone. One of them can almost never connect, while the other finds his phone to be connecting pretty much all the time...

• Does rebooting the affected phone ever help? Sometimes this is the only way to get the bluetooth stack to behave.

• I haven't seen any reboots solve anything... If it doesn't want to connect, it just doesn't...

Could the battery level have something to do with it? Maybe the phone forces the BLE stack to use low energy (even though I force high power in my app)?

• Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that battery level affects it, especially on newer API levels. the low/high energy settings you refer to only affect scanning. Is the problem that they can't connect, or that they can't find the device to connect to?

• Well, it's mostly the connecting itself which is the issue... The scanning/finding is pretty consistent now...